Ways to Prevent Plumbing Problems Caused by Tree Roots
Trees and shrubs don’t just cause plumbing and structure damage without a reason. They need either nutrients or more room to grow. Some varieties require large amounts of moisture and water to survive. When these plants don’t have access to enough water, they don’t have the ability or resources to grow unless they go in search of a water supply that will provide them with the nutrients and water they need. The closest water supply is usually the water in a home’s sewer system or pipes, and most pipes aren’t strong enough to prevent roots from penetrating the pipe’s surface.
Any time you plant a tree, shrub or other plant with a complex root system near your home, you are taking a chance. Doing the proper measuring and research before planting these types of trees, bushes or shrubs can help you avoid costly plumbing and sewer problems.
If you have trees or plants already causing plumbing issues in your home, give us a call at 321-254-0004.
Research and proper planning should include the following things:
- Measure the plant’s distance from the home to ensure that proper growth of the root system is possible without the roots getting in the way of pipes or a house’s foundation.
- Know where all the sewer systems and pipes are in the yard and leave enough space for trees and plants to grow.
- Make sure the soil and location for the trees and plants can provide enough water, nutrients and sunlight to prevent the roots from going in search of these necessary items.
- Ensure all the pipes, sewer systems and home foundations do not have leaks, cracks or weak joints where roots can find their way in and grow.
Different Types of Trees, Shrubs and Other Plants That Can Cause Plumbing Damage:
- Ficus Trees
- Willow Trees
- Magnolia Trees
- Poplar Trees
- Birch Trees
- Citrus Trees – Lemon, Mango, Orange and Grapefruit
- Oak Trees
- Boxwood Shrubs
- Holly Bushes and Shrubs
- Ivy Plants
Contact Doug Herrell Plumbing Today!
About Doug Herrell Plumbing
Doug Herrell Plumbing has been Brevard County’s source for plumbing services since 1980. We are a family owned and operated business and take tremendous pride in providing honest and reliable plumbing services at an affordable price.
LIC # CFC 048487
Serving Melbourne, Palm Bay, Viera, Suntree, Titusville, Merritt Island, Melbourne Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach, Cape Canaveral, Satellite Beach, Rockledge, West Melbourne, Cocoa, and Cocoa Beach.