Brevard County Holiday Plumbing Tips
It’s that time of year again. The holidays are known for guest coming to visit, which leads to more use of the plumbing system. Every year around this time, we see an increase in clogged drains and backed up toilets. A good idea is to be proactive and check for running toilets, leaking faucets and always a good idea to have a clean plunger on hand. While you can help your home’s plumbing system by following a few helpful tips below, we understand that things “just happen” and that’s why we’re here! If you need us at any time, give Doug Herrell Plumbing a call and we’ll fix your plumbing issues so your holiday can go on uninterrupted.
Here are a few Holiday Plumbing Tips for Brevard County Residents:
- Grease is the ‘bad guy’. If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year or cooking up some bacon, the grease should never end up down your drain. Once the grease hits your drains and cools, it will instantly begin to clog up your drain and possibly ruin your disposal.
- Mesh screens are your drain’s life-saver. These small screens stop unwanted particles from going down your drain. If you’re cooking in the kitchen, put a mesh screen in your sink and empty it once food particles get stuck. Additionally, it’s also a great idea to put a screen in your bathtub or shower to stop hair from clogging up your drains as well.
- Only flush toilet paper and human waste down your toilet. The majority of toilet clogs come from items that were flushed and can’t quite make it out of the pipes. This includes: ‘flushable’ wipes (that actually aren’t flushable), feminine products, paper towels, cotton swabs, facial tissues etc. If you’re hosting your friends and family, make sure you have an available trashcan near the sink or toilet and consider putting up a sign in the restroom that says “TP ONLY”.
- Turn off your main water shut-off when traveling. If you are planning on extensive traveling for the Holidays you might want to consider turning off your main water shut-off. After you shut the main down, turn on a few inside faucets to relieve any water left in the system.
- Water heater duty. Even though we live in Sunny Florida, we do get some weather fluctuation. Cold snaps can put more stress on your water heater, trying to keep up with hot water consumption. Good idea is to check for cracks and leaks before it lets loose all at one time. Also a good time to drain your water heater to rid it of any collected sediment that can build up in your faucets.
- The City of Melbourne has year round irrigation restrictions. They change on “Daylight Savings” time. You can search full restrictions at http://www.sjrwmd.com
We shared just a few tips to get you through the Fall Holiday Season. If you have any questions or need to schedule a plumber – Please call Doug Herrell Plumbing, INC.
About Doug Herrell Plumbing
Doug Herrell Plumbing has been Brevard County’s source for plumbing services since 1980. We are a family owned and operated business and take tremendous pride in providing honest and reliable plumbing services at an affordable price.
Serving Melbourne, Palm Bay, Viera, Suntree, Titusville, Merritt Island, Melbourne Beach, Indialantic, Indian Harbour Beach, Cape Canaveral, Satellite Beach, Rockledge, West Melbourne, Cocoa, and Cocoa Beach.